Bonita V. Saunders
Applied and Computational Mathematics Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
US Department of Commerce
- Mathematician, Mathematical Software Group
- PhD, Computational and Applied Mathematics, Old Dominion University (Norfolk, VA)
- MS, Mathematics, University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA)
- BA, Mathematics, College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA)
- Areas of Research
- Numerical Grid Generation
- Numerical Solution of PDEs
- Visualization of Special Functions
- Mailing Address
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8910
- Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8910 USA
- Contact Information
- Email : email@example.com
- Phone : (301) 975-3836
- Selected Publications
- Selected Talks/Interviews
- Digital Library of Mathematical Functions (DLMF)
- Managed the production of over 500 graphs and visualizations.
The DLMF includes formulas, methods of computation, references, and software information for nearly forty high
level mathematical functions. It features interactive navigation, a mathematical equation search and dynamic
interactive visualizations. The DLMF, also being published as a book, is the successor to
Abramowitz and Stegun's NBS Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs and Mathematical Tables
first published in 1964.
- Visualization of Complex Functions
- Numerical grid generation techniques used along with the Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) and X3D
(Extensible 3D) to create accurate visualizations of complex functions on the web.
- Previous Projects
- Portable vectorized software for Bessel function
- With Ronald F. Boisvert, developed a suite of computer programs for the evaluation of Bessel functions and
modified Bessel functions of orders zero and one.
- Fluids modeling, directional solidification
- Worked on adaptive codes to assist in the modeling of the directional solidification of metal alloys. Studied
effects of gravity moduluation on thermosolutal convection in fluids. Several preliminary publications, but the
development of better adaptive grid techniques during the DLMF project may lead to more work in this area.
- US Department of Commerce Gold Medal (2011)
- Presented to each NIST member of the Project Team for the NIST Digital Library of Mathematical
Functions (http://dlmf.nist.gov/) and the NIST Handbook of Mathematical
2011 Government Computer News Award for Outstanding Information Technology Achievement
- Presented to NIST DLMF Project Team.
2001 National Association of Mathematicians Claytor Lecturer
- SIGMA XI Scientific Society
- Goals for Girls Mentor Program (6 years)
- Mentoring program for middle school girls sponsored by
Gaithersburg Middle School(Maryland) in conjunction with the local chapter of the American
Association of University Women.
- Strenghening Our Leaders (SOL) Program (8 years, chair 2 years)
- Tutoring and enrichment program
designed to prepare K-12 students for the Virginia Standards of Learning tests required for a high school
diploma. This program is sponsored by the Northern Virginia Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. in partnership
with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington.
- Siemens Competition in Math, Science & Technology Judge (9 years)
- George Washington University Summer Program for Women in Mathematics
- Hosted program participants at NIST, gave presentations,
served on career panels.
- Math SPIRAL: Summer Program in Research and Learning (University of Maryland))
- Gave presentations at NIST to program participants.
- NIST SURF, STEP programs -
- Summer research programs for students (see link below). Supervised several
- And many other presentations for Science Days, Career Days...
- Just for Students
- Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
- Occasionally I receive interview requests during African American History Month or
National Women's History Month or Mathematics Awareness Month or ... This site answers most of the questions I've
been asked over the years. Oh, when was I born? Well, my birthday is October 19 and a careful reading of my profile will
provide you with the year!
- Student Employment Opportunities in Applied
and Computational Mathematics
Last modified: January 25, 2012. Send comments and suggestions to
Bonita V. Saunders (firstname.lastname@example.org).